Since I'm a daily follower of the kidney transplant community, I read these stories every day. But many people don't realize the amazing events that are occurring day after day. Here's a brief look at the news of the past few days
• Heart recipient now reciving kidney from mom.
• In New Jersey, a 22 month old toddler gets kidney, her father donates to an L.A. man in five way paired kidney exchange from the National Kidney Registry. www.kidneyregistry.org
• The 69-year-old Stoughton man underwent a successful kidney transplant on Thursday at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, thanks to the kindness and generosity of someone he met via the Internet.
• Woman who wasn’t compatible with nephew wanted to donate anyway…ends up connecting with a man through the Web site www.matchingdonors.com
• UCSF and Hackensack University Medical Center complete three more paired exchange transplants. This swap included our youngest transplant recipient (a one year old baby) and one of our oldest recipients (a 75 year old man). This chain was started at Cornell in September and is on its 4th cluster.
• 1-year-old girl becomes youngest recipient in kidney donation chain.
• A USC surgeon, Dr. Inderbir Gill, removed fathers kidney, for his 8 year old son, though his belly button, a procedure that Gill pioneered.
• Three men and their moms are celebrating Valentine's Day with the gift of life. The men all stepped up to save their mothers' lives by donating a kidney.
• Customer donates kidney to grocery store clerk.
There are on average, 16 living kidney transplants EVERY DAY. These are the NORM, not the exception in the living transplant community.
Harvey Mysel is a kidney transplant recipient and Founder of the Living Kidney Donors Network, a nonprofit organization that offers Workshops and Webinars to educate people in need of a kidney transplant about living kidney donation and help prepare them to effectively communicate their need to family members and friends. The Living Kidney Donors Network website is: www.lkdn.org and Harvey could be reached at: firstname.lastname@example.org or follow him on Twitter www.twitter.com/harveymysel